Having issues with your DreamPi? Take a look at the most common problems below and their solutions.
My USB modem only has one light.
This indicates either an incompatible modem or a problem with your internet connection.
- If using wired Ethernet, check to make sure the Ethernet cable is plugged in securely to both the Pi and router.
- If using Wi-Fi, make sure you have the Wi-Fi settings configured correctly. Keep in mind that the Wi-Fi SSID and password are case sensitive.
- If using Wi-Fi, make sure you have the latest version of DreamPi. Version 1.4 and earlier has issues with Wi-Fi reliability. You can grab the latest version of DreamPi from the Downloads page.
- Check to make sure your USB modem is compatible with Linux. The Dell NW147 (Conexant RD02-D400) is the recommended modem for DreamPi as it will work out-of-the-box with no driver installation required.
- Check to make sure your router isn't blocking communication to the Pi. You can do this by going to your router configuration page and checking the firewall settings. You can confirm the issue by turning off the firewall.
When I try and dial a connection on my Dreamcast, it says "No dial tone" or "No answer".
This means DreamPi isn't answering the call from the Dreamcast for some reason.
- Make sure both lights on your USB modem are lit up, indicating DreamPi is ready to accept a connection. If they aren't, see the above troubleshooting steps.
- Check to make sure your line voltage inducer is working properly. You can do this with a multimeter by setting it to 20v DC and touching one probe to the red wire contact at each end of the phone cable; you should get 9v or more (18v if using a PAL Dreamcast modem).
The red power light on my Pi is off or blinking.
This means your Pi isn't getting enough power. This can result in sporadic behavior.
- Make sure the AC adapter you're using provides 5v and at least 1A (1000Ma) of current.
- It's not recommended to use the USB port on a TV or computer to power the Pi as these USB ports normally don't provide enough power. However if you get a steady red power light on the Pi, it's ok to use.
Having trouble with a specific game? See the most common issues and solutions below.
I get an error when trying to start a game with someone. (Applies to multiple games)
If you're able to connect but can't start a game, the problem is that you don't have port forwarding or DMZ set up on your router; this is required for many of the online games. Certain games such as Worms World Party require everyone in the game to have DMZ or port forwarding enabled or the game won't start for anyone. See the Connection Guide for a list of games that require it and information on how to set it up.
I can't connect with Starlancer, PBA Tour Bowling 2001, or The Next Tetris.
Make sure you have the latest version of DreamPi. Version 1.6 includes a fix for certain ISPs that block packets used by these games. You can grab the latest version of DreamPi from the Downloads page.
Alien Front Online resets my Dreamcast when I try and connect.
Alien Front Online requires a standard length phone number in order to connect. If you have something like 555 set as your phone number on the Dreamcast, AFO will refuse to connect. Set the number to something like 111-1111.
Alien Front Online can't find the server.
Make sure you have the latest version of DreamPi. Version 1.5 adds a patch for AFO that redirects it to the private server. You can grab the latest version of DreamPi from the Downloads page.
Voice chat isn't working in Planet Ring.
Make sure you have the latest version of DreamPi. Version 1.5 fixed voice chat in these games. You can grab the latest version of DreamPi from the Downloads page.
ChuChu Rocket won't accept my username and password.
The username and password are bound to one particular Dreamcast. If you're trying to connect on another Dreamcast, you'll need to make a new username and password. If you need to reset your password, please contact Shuouma.
PBA Tour Bowling 2001 won't accept my password when creating an account.
You must use "pass" as the password when creating an account.
Phantasy Star Online v2 freezes or gives an error when trying to connect.
The North American version of Phantasy Star Online v2 requires the Sylverant PSO Patcher to connect. You can download the patcher from the Downloads page.
Don't see your issue listed here? Make a post in the Online section of the Dreamcast-Talk forum to get help.